Imagine a place of sanctuary where people gather to laugh, chat and relax. Picture a place where positive thinking and kindness are the core values. Over fifteen years ago, Mavis Cunningham had an idea to create that place. Her vision was special because it was specifically tailored to meet the needs of people living with cancer.
Today that dream is a reality and the Cancer Support Centre has gone from strength to strength. It has grown not only in size but also in its capacity to care, thanks to all the staff, therapists, client advocates plus the volunteers and trustees who donate their time.
We also need to give a big thank you to all our supporters who tirelessly raise the funds for the organisation to exist. We do not get any funding from the government or local authority to provide our services so every penny has to be raised from events and donations, plus some grants.
In order to provide our services we have to raise and average of £3200 per week. At really busy times this cost rises to £3600 !
Actual cost of a 1:1 therapy is £42
Actual cost of running a group per hour is £46
You can help us to provide the support to those affected by cancer by :
- Supporting our current fundraising
- Making a donation towards the costs or set up a monthly standing order. Don’t forget to Gift Aid your donation if you are a UK tax payer. We can claim 25p back from HMRC for every £1 you donate. (There is no cost to you).
- Holding or attending an event holding an event for us; being sponsored to run, walk, jump, or whatever you want to do, to raise funds or support those who are…..
- Raising funds each time you shop online It is completely free to use and the Centre gets a donation for each purchase made.
- Current Needs details some things we need to purchase. If you would like to make a donation of something specific get in touch via the contact us page – phone call or email.
- Donate your time by becoming a Volunteer
- Companies who want to support us through their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programmes are always welcome.
- Join OUR 70:30 CLUB LOTTERY today. Down load a pack here
- Become a Friend of the Cancer Support Centre.
A big thank you to all those who have supported us this year….
There has been a real ‘coming together’ of minds and spirit to keep our much-cherished Centre running, albeit virtually!
We could not be where we are today without every single one of you, and for that we are so grateful.
We fear missing someone out (huge apologies if you aren’t mentioned below – we could not of done it without each and every one of you!).
Everyone for their Regular standing orders and Gifts and Donations. You know who you are!
Wyndley Badminton Team with their annual tournament in March
Jo Davis for Jo’s Flower demo/gifting of flowers to our clients
Jackie Price & Steve Saul for the fortnightly Quiz Time
Julie Emery, Patricia Pickering, Samantha Grove & Ali Burgess for Happy Flowers
Deirdre Bell and her team making masks – Karen Taft, Jane Loewy, Ninette Poole, Marie Moore, Sharon Rostron, Mary Hall, Meenakshi Malik. To Rosa Wilding and Julie Baker for helping to promote and sell them.
Birthday Collections : Amanda Flynn Julie Buust Jo Allen
Gifts in Memoria of loved ones RIP …Roy Amos Malcolm Bond Hattie Cooper Valerie Leighton Diane Perkin
Companies : Ecclesiastical Volunteer donation IMI Kynock Ltd Match funding, Enoch Evans for Free wills fortnight; Yellow Design; Red Office Birmingham
Our Volunteers :
Sarah Keenan & Marie Moore for the Virtual Coffee Mornings
Ali Burgess for our wonderful CSC YouTube Channel
Toni Lester for Reiki every Saturday morning
Dorothy Cavanagh for all the clothes being added to our new eBay Shop
Deirdre Bell for her delicious cakes – still being made to order, go on!
Roy for the online relaxation time and keeping in contact with our fabulous Therapists
Jade Johannsen for her creative flair in pulling together this newsletter
Darrell Smith (EaziApps) for the development and support of our new App
For the Virtual Fundraising Team: assisting Deirdre & Jackie with events: Emma Lester Rebekah Sutcliffe Sophie Lloyd Liz Jones B
Our Trustees & Chris Kimberley (Treasurer) for the coming together in these uncertain times and steering the Centre forward!
Our Staff: For understanding and supporting our Centre, keeping everything going through some very difficult circumstances. Thank you and Goodbye to Jude who took Voluntary Redundancy at the end of July and will be greatly missed.
Our Therapists: Who have given their time freely to support our clients over lock down with support, treatments, and phone calls. Thank you and goodbye to Pam Jackson (one of our counsellors) who has left us to concentrate more on her own family, and we wish her well.
YOU ! For participating in our events and supporting us every step of the way.
To Our Patrons who support us each year THANK YOU